Saturday, August 14, 2010

How to photograph kids at the perfect moment

Any moment in life can be special.  Whether it's a day where you find your kids dancing in the rain or a milestone in life, such as turning 1 year old, graduating from kindergarten or receiving an award.  Any moment can be perfect when captured at the right time. So I thought I would share with you some ways to capture the perfect moment. 

Timing is key!  Timing can make or break the moment when captured in a photo.  Let's face it, kids are fast and don't sit longer than 3 seconds.  I was that way when I was a child.... and I am still like that.  We all like to be entertained, or at least amused for a little bit.  When trying to photograph children, you need to have your camera ready and focused.  I shoot with a Nikon D80.  I have to push down the shutter button 1/2 way until I hear a "beep" which in turn tells me my camera is in focus and will take a picture when I press the button down completely.  If you wait for the perfect smile, and your camera is not focused, I can guarantee you will miss your moment.  Even with point-&-shoot cameras, you need to focus before taking the shot. 

This is MaKayla.  She is 4 years old here and a very busy body, but you would not be able to tell that from this moment.


Avoid the fake smile! Try to get a natural shot as opposed to a very stiff posed shot by making sure that you are fun and entertaining.  By asking, " Say Cheeeeese!" will not work.  I am not sure who came up with the saying "say cheeeeeeese!" or why anyone would find that amusing enough to really smile at in the first place.  For me, I usually ask them who their favorite cartoon character is or something that they like. A popular character that always gets kids to light up not only their face but in there eyes is Mickey Mouse.  If you ask your kid to say "MICKEY," they naturally smile while saying the word, as well as, get excited because it's a character that know and really love. This could work with not only cartoon characters but with the names of pets, or made up words such as "Booger Ice Cream".  Kids love sillyness and just being goofy. Something else kids love is when the photographer playfully gets hit in the head with a stuffed animal or toy.  They laugh so hard for that one.

Here my photographer's assistant was asking "Where's Addison?" and she would say with arms out like so, "Here I am!!" So cute!


Try different angles! I think there is an unspoken right of passage on learning how to take a photo.  As a little kid learning to take a picture you ask your subject, aka baby brother, to stand still, and then you, the photographer, stands directly in front of him and takes the shot.  If you didn't learn this way, then you are one of the few who are "out of the norm."  And then as we grow up, we never really change the way that we take pictures.  Believe it or not, changing where the photographer stands while taking the photo can really create a different perspective on the story you are trying to create.  Put some flair in your photography.  The nice thing about digital photography; If you don't like it, just delete it!

Marisa from a different perspective.



Be patient and allow the moment to come naturally! Capturing your moment should not be a stressful event.  You need to remember that kids feed off your energy.  They can sense when you are stressed, mad, or sad.  Don't try to force anything upon your kids.  If they don't like trying it the 1st time, more than likely they won't like doing it.  The last thing you need is red puffy eyes and tears rolling down their cheeks.  Change up the scene or throw in a new toy and make it a game.  Go with how your child is feeling and run with it.


Hopefully this will help you, when trying to capture your little ones.  I would love to see your moments captured from my tips.


Thank you and God Bless!
Cristina Kelly
My Cherished Moments Photography







No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner